Thursday, November 17, 2011

What I’m thankful for


Many of you watched me choke back tears at the closing of the NASPA IV-West Conference as I reflected on a tumultuous semester and all the fantastic NASPA people that have been there to support me and my family.  Truly amazing.  So I thought it would be fun (for me) to write a few things about what I’m most thankful for about my experiences at the conference:

  • I had the opportunity to host a reception for the undergraduate students interested in the field and my heart soared as they talked about feeling welcomed and accepted at the conference.
  • With over 100 plus graduate students in attendance I wasn’t able to host the reception that I wanted, but had a fantastic opportunity to learn about the Colorado State University SAHE jacket (that used to be a couch).  Seriously. Ask Tony Pang all about it.
  • An overwhelming number of fantastic sessions – it looks like Tim Alvarez and crew will need to try and add some program sessions in Rapid City!
  • Three seasons in three days.  It was a lot of fun to hear grads and undergrads alike share that it was their very first snowfall.  Super cool.
  • Hugs.  Many of you know that I love a good hug, and NASPA provides me with great opportunities to connect with friends.  If you were kind enough to share a hug with me. Thank you.
  • Watching former student staff members shine in their presentations – it was fantastic to see how far they have come.  I am very proud.
  • The laugh I had when Gwen and Patricia gave me Jayhawk gear, and the number of folks who looked genuinely confused (KU Doc class 2005)
  • The fantastic speeches and stories by our award winners.  From Rich Rossi’s “say yes”  to Ryan Gove’s meadowlark, I think we all took something great away.
  • I’m thankful that I was able to control my inner smartaleck and not pinch Dr. Blanche Hughes’ elbow when she said that she just wanted to be pinched to ensure that her outstanding Dean award wasn’t a dream.  It wasn’t Dr. Hughes, you are amazing.
  • Quiet and not so quiet time with fabulous colleagues, new and “seasoned.” I think I learned as much sitting at meals and in between sessions as I did anywhere else.
  • Fantastic conversations with Gwen Dungy and Patricia Telles Irvin.  The opportunity to engage and learn from such tremendous leaders  is something that I will never forget.
  • I had the chance to visit with a friend and see her the happiest I’ve ever known her to be.  You know who you are, and I’m excited for you.
So, I am a very lucky and thankful person.  I hope that those of you in attendance had a similar experience.  Thank you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment